A round-up of all the bits and bobs from the film and television industries over the past week.
On the Big Screen
- A trailer for Godzilla: The Japanese Original has surfaced online. When the franchise was first imported from the east, the original movie was heavily cut, dubbed, and had Raymond Burr spliced into it. Well, this April sees the release of the original uncut Japanese version at the TCM Classic Film festival (hence the subtitle).
- FOX are reportedly finalising deals with Miles Teller (Divergent, The Spectacular Now), Kata Mara (House of Cards, 24), Michael B. Jordan (The Wire, Friday Night Lights), and Jamie Bell (Billy Elliot, Filth) to play Reed Richards, Sue Richards, Johnny Storm and Ben Grim respectively in Josh Trank’s reboot of The Fantastic Four.
- A rumoured shortlist for the writing and directing duties on Marvel’s upcoming Doctor Strange film has found its way online. The list includes Mark Andrews (co-writer and co-director of Brave, co-writer of John Carter), Nikolaj Arcel (director and screenwriter of A Royal Affair, as well as screen writer of 2009’s Girl with the Dragon Tattoo), Dean Israelite (Welcome to Yesterday) and Jonathan Levine (50/50, Warm Bodies). Whilst Marvel would allegedly prefer whomever directs to also pen the script, if it does not work out that way then Jon Aibel and Glenn Berger (both Kung Fu Panda) are also in the mix.
- Guy Ritchie’s remake of The Man from U.N.C.L.E., starring Henry Cavill (Man of Steel) and Armie Hammer (The Lone Ranger), has been given a US release date.
- Jai Courtney (Divergent, A Good Day to Die Hard) has been cast as Kyle Reese in Alan Taylor’s Terminator: Genesis.
On the Small Screen
- Jada Pinkett Smith (Hawthorne, Collateral, The Matrix Reloaded) has been added to the cast of Gotham. She has been signed up to play Fish Mooney – a streetsmart mob boss with a furious temper.
- Terrence Howard will star in Fox’s hip-hop drama series Empire.
- Jennifer Lopez will star in FBI drama series Shades of Blue for NBC.
- Swansea born Matt Ryan (Criminal Minds: Suspect Behavior) has landed the title role in the pilot for NBC’s Constantine.
- Luther is to be re-made for Russian television.
- Nathaniel Buzolic (The Vampire Diaries, Out of the Blue) and Lucien Laviscount (Waterloo Road, Coronation Street) have been cast in the lead roles for Supernatural: Tribes.